Wednesday, May 15, 2013

May 14th & 15th, Day +18 & 19, Going Home

After we got our PICC line in Monday, there wasn't much left holding us in the hospital.  Tuesday morning's WBC was 2.56, Hunter's pain was more under control, we had all of our prescription meds, our home health was arranged, and were ready for our discharge orders!  Hunter needed a unit of blood, and after it dripped in we started packing up.  Our transplant coordinator gave us some training for our new phase of recovery out of the hospital.  Hunter was thrilled that his diet restrictions were loosened up a little, and he was so ready to feel the sunlight on his back.  What a happy day!  We were released a little after 4:30.
Happy Hunter, Happy Mom
Hunter said it felt good to put on real clothes.
We ended up with an impressive amount of stuff after our four week stay!
There were a few ladies that we will always remember.  If I had a daughter, I might name her Kerri or Mrs. Oki.  In all seriousness, the nurses and doctors on our floor gave us the best care.  They did their best to ease Hunter's suffering in any way possible.  We hope to never see them in the hospital, but they will always hold a special place in our heart.

Here we are waiting for our car.  Hunter was ready to be out of there!

I think just add a helmet, and he looks like a fighter pilot.

All belted in, and ready to go!
Hunter's first freedom request was a Sonic hot carmel sundae.  Can't blame him!
 I was quite hungry myself, and scarfed down a hot fudge brownie in about 5 bites.  I had only eaten a little bowl of cereal and cup of soup all day, and had been awake since 3 A.M.  My brownie did not settle well.  Hunter was cold, so we had hot air going.  The combination of a lot of sugar on an empty stomach, plus exhaustion was not a good one for me.  I got clammy, then my stomach got upset.  I had felt perfectly fine all day, but I panicked.  I knew that I was dealing with my own anxiety, but I couldn't get it out of my mind that I could possibly have exposed Hunter to a bug.  Then I could not get control of my nerves.  We decided that I should not stay at the RV just in case I was sick.  I made a few phone calls and headed across town to my Uncle's house.  Tim and Lenora were just what I needed.  As soon as I arrived and got a big bear hug and had a good cry, I felt better.  I wish that I could have kept it together for Hunter's exciting day, but I knew Jana had everything under control.  I'm still here, and plan to go back tomorrow.  I've done a lot of chatting on the phone with the ones that ground me.  We have a long road ahead of us, and I feel like I'll be much more rested, refreshed, and ready to jump back into Hunter's recovery.        


 Hunter was worn out after the move, and took a good nap in his chair.  I'm sure I gave him a good scare that my stomach was upset.  He doesn't have to wear his mask indoors, so it made me sad to see him with it on sleeping in the RV.  I was glad to talk to him after his nap.  He knew that I was fine, but was glad I got away to restore myself.  I just love him and admire his strength daily.

After his nap, he went outside for the first time in a month.  We think our RV park will be a peaceful place to recover.  

Hunter and Jana had a good night, and have done a lot of resting today at the RV.  Home health is coming this afternoon to hook him up to his magnesium infusion through his PICC line today.  The rest we will do on our own.  I think it's been nice to be able to cook their own food and just be quiet.
 Our boys are happy as can be back at home.  Caleb developed a double ear infection and his throat was infected over the weekend along with a gunky eye that's been shared amongst the house.  Honey has had her hands full, but everyone is now on the mend.  Mom kept them home from school yesterday and it looks like they had a fun today.  Benton was reading to his brothers here.

Chase, Macey, and Diann took the guys to the Grace Museum today.  I'm pretty sure they played hard. We are blessed with the BEST family.  I'm so thankful.

I've been trying to give an honest and open account of our journey.  While I don't enjoy admitting my weaknesses and shortcomings, I decided that I would rather ask for prayers than to pretend that I wasn't scared of leaving the security of the hospital.  I'm glad that I was able to take a step back and take a little break.  Not every caregiver has that luxury.  

Hunter is doing incredible in his recovery.  We go back tomorrow for our first outpatient clinic appointment.  I will probably not update the blog on days we don't have anything big going on.  Please continue to pray that Hunter can stay free from infections, to gain strength, and his immune system build daily.  We also ask for prayers for the DNA test results that should be back in the next week or so.  I am so thankful for all of Team Hanner, and for the way we are encouraged along our journey by those that love us.

post signature

1 comments:

Patrick and Brandon'a said...

Jennifer, you are doing suuuucchhh an AMAZING and INCREDIBLE job, don't feel the leeaaasstt bit down for letting God minister to you, your needs, & emotions, personally or though your Uncle & Aunt). Your transparency, vulnerability, and honesty is refreshing in a world full of the presentation of Facebook perfect lives. God is glorified in our weakness and you're shining in a way that is drawing others to our Refuge, Peace, & Strength (the Lord Himself). (What person doesn't need & want this anchor in their lives?) Only the Lord can sustain us! Praise God for your courage in sharing!