Tuesday, April 16, 2013

April 16, Day -10

I'm writing this update from Hunter's new home for the next month, Methodist transplant floor.  We have had a great first day of medical stuff after a fabulous weekend with the family.  I'll write more about our weekend later.
Monday was a day we had been dreading for a while...saying goodbye to the boys.  It was tough, but we were thankful to be sending them home with G-Daddy, Uncle Chase, and Aunt Macey.  
We decided to get a lot of the emotional stuff over in one swoop and headed to get Hunter's battle ready haircut.  I originally thought we'd get all the boys matching haircuts, but Benton didn't want to part with his curls.  I thought I would be really upset to see Hunter's hair go, but he got a mohawk first for our little man's enjoyment and it helped lighten the mood.
Hunter has ALWAYS wanted a buzz for the summer.  I think he looks pretty handsome :)  He will lose his hair, so it will be much easier to see little bits fall out as opposed to big clumps.
After his haircut, we got groceries for our RV and snacks for Hunter.  Jana dropped us off for dinner with friends, and we enjoyed one last bit of socializing before isolation starts.
Hunter reported to the surgical floor at 6 a.m. Tuesday morning to get his port put in.  It is a 3 pronged catheter right below his clavicle used to draw blood, give fluids, and administer I.V. meds.  His procedure was quick, and we were done and transferred to the transplant floor before 10:00.  He got checked in, toured the wing, had his first blood draw, and met with an array of people who checked him over.  Hunter's chemo starts tomorrow.
 He was feeling like chipotle, so what Hunter wants, Hunter gets (for a while).  He is on an antimacrobial diet, so we will have to get into the mindset of no fresh fruits or veggies.
We have the best friends.  Right after putting the boys in the car to Abilene, we walked into our RV filled with boxes and boxes of gifts.  We each have wrapped gifts to open every day.  It's been quite the pick-me-up.  The calls, texts, messages, and emails have been awesome.  We know that there is an army praying for Hunter, and we feel it.  Jana and I are holding up pretty well, all things considered.  Hunter is being Hunter, not complaining a bit about what he's about to endure.  He's ready to be cured. Keep those prayers coming, bisulfan starts tomorrow.

post signature

6 comments:

Jenna said...

Thinking about and praying for yall constantly. Thank you for the updates. They are much appreciated.

Cody said...

Jennifer:
Thank you for keeping us posted via this blog. I appreciated Hunter's testimony, posted earlier. I'm glad I got to meet you this past weekend at the wedding, and I told Hunter that my wife and I are praying constantly. May God be glorified.

Glenna said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I just got cold chills and tears in my ears thinking of you all, but seeing Hunter's smiling face caused that I think because I know he has a great outlook on things. We will pray for you as you go each day. Continue to look forward to watching as you are healed.

Rene said...

I have been praying all day! I passed Jana and Mark's house this afternoon and got teary eyed. I will miss seeing you guys at church but will be thankful the next time we see you Hunter will be cured!! Thanks for the updates!!!

Diane said...

Hunter, remembering you in prayer as you begin this new journey. Know the Lord holds you in the palm of His Hand and your family too. Love to all of you,
Diane Packer

Glen Dods said...

Hunter sent your story to our family through Glenn's email also your blogspot so you'll have lots of Canadians praying. keep smiling. Our God is an awesome God. Love you all