Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 21, Day T-5, Campath is awful!

Today's update is a little more difficult to write.  One of our new drugs is tough to tolerate, to say the least.  Hunter finished up his 16 doses of busulfan at 2 this morning.  He had the one bout of nausea, but other than that felt really good for the four days he was on busulfan.

First thing this morning he got his pre-meds, (zofran) and then his infusion of Fludarabine (kills off immune system).  No problems there.  His next chemo drug for the day, Campath, was preceded with a steroid and benadryl to help prevent the "shake and bake" side effects.  About 10:00 the Campath was started.  He was given a massive dose of benadryl and supposed to have a big nap for the morning.  At 11:15 Hunter woke up and said he thought he was getting chilled.  I called the nurse right away, and she was immediately there with a dose of demerol.  By this time he was shaking uncontrollably.  His entire body was shivering and every muscle clenched.  He was put on oxygen, and given another shot of demerol to try and lessen the severity of the chills.  Jana and I were helpless.  We piled on the blankets and prayed the drugs would knock him out soon.  After about 45 minutes, he finally started to relax and drifted into a little bit of sleep.  About 30 minutes later, he woke up extremely nauseous and burning hot.  The normal treatment for fever and chills would be tylenol, but while busulfan is in your system you can't have tylenol products.  He was given some meds for the nausea, but there wasn't much we could do about his high fever.  We iced him down and Jana put cool washcloths on his head. Finally we got him cool enough that he could lay down and rest.  He has been miserable.  I feel like I could just burst into tears.  I did just that once he was asleep.

He has been resting for about and hour and a half as I write this.  He feels considerable cooler, but his temp is still 103.8.  I'm glad I didn't know how high his fever was earlier.  He just got a shot of steroid and iced down again to try and bring his fever back down.  The good news is that Campath is only once a day.  Usually, the first reaction is by far the strongest and the next three days should be easier.  Would you join me in praying for no more reactions?  We will be glad when this drug is finished.

Sky high fever, might be the only smile of the day.
Thank goodness for moms.  Hunter has got a good one.  In happier news...the boys had a great time with G-Daddy.  We got pictures of their nighttime ice cream snack.



The boys have had a good day at church, then an afternoon with their cousins.  It looks like they've enjoyed being outside and with family.








Poor Clayton, looks like he wasn't feeling the group photo here.

Tonight our church is having a family style carnival for Team Hanner tonight.  There will be games, music, and food for everyone to enjoy.  Southern Hills has been such and incredible blessing to us.  I will have to write back later with pictures from tonight.  We have had lots of encouragement today as the news got out about how Hunter was reacting to his Campath.  We are grateful, and feeling pretty emotional and worn out.  Thanks for keeping us on your prayer list.  


8 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh goodness. I found myself teary-eyed reading this. I can imagine how you must want to help Hunter feel better in the short term. I'm praying for minimal shake and bake side effects with Hunters next few rounds. I know how much you must miss your 3 sweet little boys! FaceTime is amazing.

Wendi said...

Hi Jennifer! I saw your blog on FB and wanted you to know we are praying for you guys. We live in Houston and hope the best for your stay here. Thanks for posting.
Blessings,
Wade & Wendi Holmes

Danny and Beverly said...

We are constantly holding up Hunter in prayer that God will bless him with continued strength and courage. Tell him that there so many of God's servant's on his side, praying for him and that we are confident that he will get through this.

Mrs. Mays said...

Hello,
I first heard about your sweet family through my coworker Lauren. We are from Abilene, so I've seen your post through several old Abilene friends. We are in Houston and want you to know that we are also praying for you guys.
Fran Mays

Kellie said...

Jennifer & Jana...as a momma & wife I just can't imagine. You 2 are awesome, strong women of great faith.....hang in there ladies. Prayers for a peaceful evening for u 3.

Anonymous said...

Wow --- strong women - both of you. Mark and I are praying daily for Team Hanner. Specifically asking God to calm this Campath "storm".

Blessings,
Karen & Mark Viertel

Anne said...

Jennifer, even thought the Jones have moved away from Abilene, and now live in Grandview, please know we are praying for all of Team Hanner...on our hearts and in our prayers!

Love from the Jones'
--Anne

Shelley said...

Huge Prayers and Hugs from afar for you all today!