To the Stranger from Grace Baptist Church & all the others who shared Hunter's need for A+blood:
This is my last post about our Disney trip, and if you've skimmed/skipped over the rest (like I probably would have to be honest) I hope you'll take the time to read this one. You see, the biggest blessing from our entire trip did not come from the joy of watching my kids' faces or from the satisfaction that we survived the first year post-transplant. It came from a two minute encounter with a stranger.
This is my last post about our Disney trip, and if you've skimmed/skipped over the rest (like I probably would have to be honest) I hope you'll take the time to read this one. You see, the biggest blessing from our entire trip did not come from the joy of watching my kids' faces or from the satisfaction that we survived the first year post-transplant. It came from a two minute encounter with a stranger.
We spent Hunter's one year rebirth day with smiles on our faces, having the times of our lives at Magic Kingdom. The last thing on our agenda was a Luau for dinner before flying out the next day. We were headed there on the monorail from our hotel with several stops to make in between. The first stop was Magic Kingdom. Hunter and Benton were on his scooter, and the twins in their stroller in front of me on the bench. The doors open, and I scoot over to make room for the new people getting on.
The woman who sat down beside me gave Hunter a good look as she sat down, which isn't all that uncommon when he's wearing a mask. Then she gives me a double take and asked, "Have you ever visited Grace Baptist Church?"
I told her that I didn't think so, that church name didn't sound familiar.
She looked at us again and told me "I never forget a face, are you sure you've never been to church there?"
More for conversation's sake than anything, I inquired where her church was located. When she said Tampa, Florida, I assured her it was my first visit to Florida, and that we were from Abilene, Texas. I also added that we had spend time in Houston for Hunter to get a bone marrow transplant.
She nodded her head, then pointed at Hunter and Benton, then me. She said, "I know I've seen you, and you and you before. He needed a lot of blood transfusions? I've prayed for your family before and I'm so glad to see you here celebrating."
A punch in the stomach could not have taken my breath away more than her comment. I was floored. Of all the people in the world, much less Disney World, the lady that sat down next to me on one of the hundreds of monorail cars knew our story and had prayed for us. I wish that I had asked her name, taken a picture with her, or thanked her properly. But all I was able to muster was a stunned look and a feeble "Wow, thanks, that's so incredible."
And then our Angel got off at the next stop with her group of friends, probably not realizing the impact that her quick conversation would have on me for the rest of my life. If Hunter would have not heard, I almost could convince myself that it was a dream. At almost the exact time of Hunter's donor marrow dripping into his veins a year previous, another stranger blessed us with God's tangible presence right in front of me. I don't believe in coincidences, but encounters that God arranges. The God of heaven and earth, the one who knows the number of hairs on my head, cared enough for me to reveal himself in a stranger again on April 26th. I don't claim to have it all together. There have been moments of doubt and lots of anxiety over the last year. But through it all, we have been constantly reminded that God cares for us in the midst of our struggle. Never are we promised an easy life, but rather help to live it if we only trust. Transplant hasn't exactly gone as we have planned, but the blessings from those struggles are too numerous to count.
And then our Angel got off at the next stop with her group of friends, probably not realizing the impact that her quick conversation would have on me for the rest of my life. If Hunter would have not heard, I almost could convince myself that it was a dream. At almost the exact time of Hunter's donor marrow dripping into his veins a year previous, another stranger blessed us with God's tangible presence right in front of me. I don't believe in coincidences, but encounters that God arranges. The God of heaven and earth, the one who knows the number of hairs on my head, cared enough for me to reveal himself in a stranger again on April 26th. I don't claim to have it all together. There have been moments of doubt and lots of anxiety over the last year. But through it all, we have been constantly reminded that God cares for us in the midst of our struggle. Never are we promised an easy life, but rather help to live it if we only trust. Transplant hasn't exactly gone as we have planned, but the blessings from those struggles are too numerous to count.
To all of you who have walked this journey with us--through facebook, instagram, subscribing through email, or sharing our blog link with others--again I offer a feeble "Thanks, that's so incredible." This is a chapter of our God story that we feel belongs to all who shared the ups and downs of our lives the past year. So if you know someone at Grace Baptist, I'd love for you to share this post and thank her properly from our family.




1 comments:
We are huge believers in angels on Earth as we've had encounters with messengers before. I believe you had a true angel encounter right when you needed it. <3 Our thoughts are always with you! *smootch*
Post a Comment