Monday, March 23, 2015

Hunter Hanner Community of Hope

In the week right before we came home from the hospital, Hunter and I had two very special visitors.  They braved the icy roads and dodged wrecked vehicles to travel many hours to see us.  As newlyweds 11 years ago, Vann Conwell and his wife Susan facilitated our YoungMarriedLife class at church.  They helped foster many of the relationships with other young couples we still hold very dear from our B.C. (before children) days.   They introduced us to Serge Gasore, who then was a college student and genocide surviver from Rwanda on the ACU on the track team that the Conwells adopted as one of their own.  We first learned about Rwanda Children last summer before Hunter's AIDP hit and were completely drawn to what God is doing in Rwanda through Serge.  I'm so humbled and honored to share what they wanted to discuss with Hunter in the hospital.  But first, let me turn my blog over to Serge for a guest post in his own words....and then I'll explain a little about Rwanda Children and why we are so awestruck at being a part of this wonderful organization sharing the hope of a future with kids who so desperately need to hear they are loved and valued by God.

Meet Serge:


I began my life as a runner in 1994 at age 7.  I was living with my grandmother in a small Rwandan village named Ntarama.  The genocide in Rwanda was beginning, and I literally ran for my life as many people in my country died.  God graciously spared my life and provided for me.  Later in my life, my ability as a runner brought me to Abilene, Texas with a scholarship to run track for Abilene Christian University. 

However, I continued to believe that God had not spared my life in order that I might become a professional track athlete.  No, I believed God was calling me to return to my country of Rwanda so that I might serve in Jesus’ name the “least of these” children—children who, like me as young child, are vulnerable and at-risk.
During my time in Abilene I got to know Chase and Hunter Hanner. I respect both of these men very much, and they are examples of Jesus to me.  Chase is now serving as a member of the board of the non-profit I founded called Rwanda Children.  

During Hunter’s illness I have witnessed not only his great faith and trust in God, but also the wonderful love and compassion his family provided him.  The Hanner’s Christ-like example of faith, trust, love and compassion is very much in keeping with what I want to be able to share with vulnerable children in my country through the ministry of Rwanda Children. (I sometimes describe these children as being “behind-the-door,” because they are hidden, pushed aside and forgotten.) 

You can see why I was very excited when the suggestion was made to name our new complex of houses in Ntarama, Rwanda “The Hunter Hanner Community of Hope,” as I felt it allowed Hunter’s story of God’s grace and protection to be another story told alongside my story and many more we will hear from the kids we are rescuing, with all of the stories pointing to our great God and His loving care for His children.


Just like a long-distance race, which was the type of race I loved to run, the Rwanda Children story continues.  Our board recently made the decision to begin construction before the end of 2015 on five new homes for at-risk children in my village. These five new houses will become homes for at least 30 additional “behind-the-door” children. 

As we start to build these five homes, Rwanda Children’s board also invites everyone reading this to join a campaign they are calling, “Build A House, Create A Home.” The goal of the “Build A House, Create A Home” campaign is to raise $250,000 for the construction of five additional homes (bringing the total to 10 new homes), and to raise the operational funds necessary to care for the children living in these new Rwanda Children homes. 
As I mentioned earlier, I am very glad that we are dedicating this new cluster of homes that will be built in my village, “The Hunter Hanner Community of Hope.” 

May all glory be given to God, and may these homes provide family and the hope of a future to the vulnerable children they serve in Rwanda.  “So our hope is in the Lord. He is our help, our shield to protect us.” – Psalm 33:20 
If you would like to know more about Rwanda Children, visit www.rwandachildren.org or contact Vann Conwell at: vann@rwandachildren.org
-- Serge Gasore


Serge is already making a difference returning home to serve those who were a part of the genocide in which Serge lost his family.  If that's not the love of Christ, I'm not sure what is.  Medical insurance for children in the area is $5 a YEAR and provides immunizations and access to medical care.  Rwanda Children already has provided this for over 2,000 children in the village.  Clean water has been made available.  Their existing home is a safe haven for six children who might otherwise be sold into slavery or prostitution.  They will eventually return to their families with an education and skills to provide a future for their entire family.

Hunter and I are just two ordinary people who obeyed the Lord's calling to have a bone marrow transplant when he opened the door with the birth of our twins four years ago.  It's beginning to be more clear to us that God had a purpose for the rest of Hunter's life, and it's not to just sit back and say "Thanks God, for all you've done for us."  We would never seek to have Hunter's name recognized on a community of houses where children are rescued out of a future of pain and suffering, but believe that God will be glorified through Hunter's story of healing.

There is room for an additional 10+ houses on the land already purchased.  If you would like to make a contribution to the Hunter Hanner Community of Hope in Ntarama, Rwanda, please consider visiting their website to make donation.  If you'd like to know more, feel free to contact vann@rwandachildren.org or follow them on instagram (@rwandachildren) or facebook (Rwanda Children).

You'd better believe that as soon as Hunter is recovered and clear to get his vaccinations we will be on a plane to Africa, talking with 60 Rwandan children sharing the message of hope in the Lord.  Any donation, small or large would be appreciated to make this $250,000 dream a reality!    


post signature

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys are truly an amazing, life shaking, heartbeat skipping, kind of testimony to those across Texas, and more! Your continuous praise to our glorious Savior is one that can move mountains! We will continue to send prayers and thankfulness from West Texas! God is so good and so glad that Hunter is home!