As I picked Benton up from school Monday, he said "One of my friends went to Great Wolf Lodge over spring break, and someone else went snow skiing, but I had the best spring break EVER because my Daddy came home." There has never been a room full of boys more happy than mine. Wherever Hunter is, three little helpers are ready to hug, snuggle, and play. And he wouldn't change a thing. We are doing better than great at home!
 |
| Hunter has waited a long time to meet his niece Sadie. Our fighters are both home! |
 |
| Caleb got his wish-- "Cabela's Big Game Hunter" with Daddy |
Friday morning after our homecoming party, I woke up with a bit of a scratchy throat. Thankfully, I went to get checked out and tested positive for strep. I had no fever, aches, or any other symptoms but was contagious for another 48 hours after my shot. Not ideal! Mark and Jana moved in for the next couple days and I went to mom and dad's house. I drank lots of coffee, took a nap, made the slideshow of our coming home, and generally did nothing! Mom worked on the knots in my back and we enjoyed getting to spend some down time together. I was sad to be away from Hunter and the boys, but it was a great break between all the craziness of getting the house ready for Hunter's homecoming and this week of getting into our new normal. Thanks Nana and G-Daddy! And thanks Honey and Poppa for "nursing me back to health."
 |
| I'd say these guys had a great weekend by the smiles on their faces:) |
 |
| Sunday lunch was the end of my quarantine, so we were all together around the dinner table for the first time in a long time. |
 |
| Trying out their new bows. They were so excited when they could get them to stick to the windows. |
 |
| Clara's teacher sent me her journal entry.....we have a room full of pictures from this sweet girl. |
 |
| I told Hunter "you might be a redneck if you do curls with gun pieces." |
Tuesday was our first taste of what the next few weeks will be like for me. Getting everyone fed breakfast, three little lunches packed, everyone dressed, and out the door to school and therapy was successful. I'm still trying to figure out how much time we will need to load and unload Hunter in his chair for car rides. We made it on time, ate our Lucky Charms and wore green, and even managed to get Clayton's "Bug of the Week" posters made. I have had no problems falling asleep at night.
 |
| I saw lots of Team Hanner shirts Tuesday! |
 |
| We have been super impressed by our therapy at West Texas Rehab so far. Hunter has PT 3x/week and OT twice weekly. They tracked down the piece of equipment he was using at Zale Lipshy that holds his body weight so he can relearn to walk. We are relieved and excited to know he can get the specialized neuro rehab he needs here in Abilene. |
 |
| Clayton was very proud to be "Bug of the Week" in the fours class. |
The twins went with us to Hunter's OT evaluation on Wednesday. They made lots of friends in the waiting area and loved getting to watch daddy get stronger. His OT will focus primarily on strength and coordination with his hands. It is so frustrating to him to have trouble picking up objects, holding utensils such as pens or silverware, and not having the strength to push buttons on his computer or a remote. You don't realize how much you use your hands and legs until you can't.
 |
| little helpers |
 |
| Good boys at therapy got cake pops. Clayton was a big fan. |
 |
| Benton earned his star for being learning all the books of the Bible. Go brother! |
As we were walking into pizza feast Wednesday night, I noticed Caleb's pants were on backwards. His bible teacher asked "What's the deal with his pants? Is that a special trick I need to know about with little boys?" Well, the boys have had to be a little more independent this week. Benton has been waking up to an alarm clock, making his bed, and dressing himself before breakfast. The twins are (obviously) getting themselves ready, feeding the dogs, and getting themselves buckled in the car with their backpacks. They're all pretty good about serving themselves breakfast and cleaning up after themselves and Hunter. I'm thankful for good boys who are thrilled to have their daddy home. If you see us out and we look a little crazy, it's probably because our life is a little wild (in the best way)!
 |
|
Thursday after Hunter checked in with our primary care doctor, we ventured out to the dealership. When we pulled in on our way home last week it was after hours, so there were lots of faces Hunter hadn't seen in six months. We are so blessed by the men and women at Hanner Chevrolet. Many of them have had to fill in and pull slack for Hunter in his absence. It is a privilege to have employees that truly love and care for each other in their times of need. He's going to be working hard in Occupational therapy trying to get his hands to improve their grip and coordination to get back on a computer:) Right now his handwriting looks about like Clayton's.
 |
| a few of the crew |
We are especially thankful for Chase. He has had to carry a lot of stress on his shoulders. Since August, Macey and Sadie have been in the hospital. He has mourned the loss of his little girl Kinsley and watched Sadie fight to get out of the NICU. Mark, Jana, and Hunter have spent countless hours in Dallas leaving him as the only Hanner at work. He's basically been a single father to Hudson with the help of Erin and others. Chase would never want any credit for his actions, but he is a hero in my book. Hunter can't wait to be back with his best friend at work every day. I pray my boys love each other like Hunter and Chase.
Everywhere we've gone this week, people have stopped me and said "I know you don't know me, I'm friends with ______, but I've prayed for you and I'm so happy you're home." God's story in Hunter life is truly amazing. We would not be where we are without the answered prayers of thousands. Thank you for taking the time to lift us up in prayer.
I am so happy to report that Hunter is thriving at home. We got an adjusting bed that raises the head and feet so he's sleeping like a baby. He's also loving the home cooking. His blood work this week was the best it's been since this whole AIDP mess started. His hemoglobin was up two points since we left the hospital, and his white count and platelets were in the normal range. He is so happy to be off his immune suppressing Prograf. We go back to Houston in a couple weeks and Hunter hopes to start getting off some of the antibiotics and antivirals that he no longer needs because his immune system is functioning normally. All of this feels amazing to type out. Hunter is a living, breathing miracle. Please continue to pray for his nerve pain. As his nerves heal they sting, tingle, and ache. We are hoping that this pain will soon be over and the movement and strength can return in his feet. It's hard to stand or walk when you can't feel your feet. Pray also for Sadie's vertebrae to heal. Praise God, we are home and loving every minute!
0 comments:
Post a Comment