As a family, we have spent this month expressing our thankfulness. We have a "thankful tree" and at our dinner table we each go around and write one thing we are thankful for daily. This is a tradition we've had for several years, and it's been a great reminder of how far we've come. As several friends posted their "memories" on facebook this last week, November was Hunter's low point last year when his brain was affected. I have very few pictures or videos from this time last year, because it was just too awful. Hunter couldn't move his facial muscles to smile or mouth words, couldn't focus his eyes, and couldn't move a single muscle. He was on full support of the ventilator. He said the thought of days hunting with his boys gave him the will to keep fighting. You may be tired of hearing how Hunter was last year, but it's completely changed how we view our "new life" at home together. It's not whole, it's not how it used to be, it's not easy, but we are thankful anyway.
Cull buck with his boys!
This year's thankful tree
Last year I was only home for a few nights. I can still picture those sweet little faces so happy to see me on Friday mornings when I came home for the weekends.
A cameraman showed up at Hunter's therapy Tuesday to film a story for the Rehab Telethon. I was wearing workout clothes and no makeup, so I was trying really hard to stay out of the way. Hunter was showing off. He is doing some exercises standing on one leg and touching cones without setting his foot down. His balance is getting better! Jodi calls it reeducating his nerves going diagonal across his body.
Core muscles getting stronger!
Hunter continues to use mostly his wheelchair at work, his sticks at home, and practices walking independently at therapy. His walk is getting more natural. I see lots of little improvements all the time, but it's hard to stay patient for the big jumps in function.
Lots of laughs coming from these boys! Daddy wrestling hasn't happened in a long time!
Hunter and I were guests at the Guillain-Barre/AIDP lecture for the Physical Therapy school at Hardin Simmons University recently. We listened to Dr. Brewer's lecture, then answered questions. Hunter was just about every worst case scenario and complication for AIDP. Yet he's with us today by the grace of God. Thanks for having us! Hunter is showing off his power attachment to his manual wheelchair here. It's been several months since I've had to haul his chair anywhere. I don't miss it!
I've also been putting Hunter to work at home. He was even happy about getting out his drill upstairs!
This photo blanket moved all over Zale Lipshy with us hanging in every room. We've all spent so many hours missing the faces in this photo! It only took us 7 months of being home, but we've got it hung!
BB gun practice
C & C have watched Hunter's Friday therapy the last several week. Their favorite donut shop is on the way:)
This handsome boy is looking so grown up these days!
I helped plan a mother/son day last weekend with church. Between the rock wall, scavenger hunt, and hikes, we all had a great time! We love our SoHills peeps and are so thankful to raise our boys together!
Benton was a little nervous!
He did great!
And I was very sore the next day!
excited little scavenger hunters
sweet friends
Their other momma came too! Thanks Ernie:)
Honey and Poppa came to help with lunch.
Thank you for continuing to support and pray for our family in our journey to healing! God has been good to us. Hard times make you appreciate the good ones even more. Please pray for Hunter to regain nerve function and strength, and that his nerve pain lets him sleep. We have so much to be thankful for this year!
I am married to my best friend and high school sweetheart. We decided after five years of wedded bliss to add to our family! Benton is our beautiful big brother. Twins Caleb and Clayton complete our family. We are blessed.
0 comments:
Post a Comment