Saturday, April 10, 2010

How NOT to dye eggs

Though our family had many traditions growing up, dyeing easter eggs was not one of them. Michelle and I thought we could surely figure it out. We're grown adults after all! As a teacher who's planned many an activity, I prepared our supplies, prepped our area, and we dove right in. Here is the happy cousins just starting.
Lesson #1-Don't put messy boy and clean little girl right next to each other at the table.
Here is Benton going in for the stir, only to fling blue hued water all over Clara. Benton is delighted. Clara not so much.
We promptly move Benton to the other side of the table, where he flings again this time hitting Clara in the face. Benton gets moved to the grass. Michelle comforts Clara who is carefully stirring her pink sticker covered egg.
Lesson #2- Use smaller bowls next time. There was way to much water to tempt this boy. It didn't end up in the bowl for long. Nana suggested coffee mugs. Whoops!
Lesson #3 - A big spoon is just too inviting to hit things with. Exhibit A- Benton's crushed egg. His lasted all of 3 minutes.
Lesson #4 - Boys and girls are very different. Notice Benton, covered in dye, egg in pieces. Notice Clara, splattered in Benton's blue dye carefully stirring her 8 eggs.



Not surprisingly, our eggs didn't turn out too hot. I'm a little perplexed at the good turnouts some of my blog friends had dyeing eggs with young toddlers. Any suggestions would be gladly considered for next year!

There's always next time....when we'll have Ben getting in the mix. I can't wait!

post signature

2 comments:

honey said...

Wish I could of been there for all that fun! Guess you girls have some good pointers for next year! Pictures are hilarious!

Michelle said...

i'm still cracking up at them and at your description!

we have fun with you, as always!